Posts Tagged 'Painting'

Tau Pathfinders

Here are my Tau Pathfinders.  They are simply Fire Warriors with the Pulse Carbine instead of the Pulse Rifle.  Then I painted them with a tiger stripe style camo to represent their ability to blend in and provide the long range spotting support.  They have not been highlighted, and some details still need to be picked out, but they are ready to hit the tabletop.

I also did something a little different that what I am accustomed to by painting up a couple without helmets.  I usually stick to helmeted guys, since I just think it makes more sense and looks better, but for these I decided to paint up two “squad leaders” without helmets.  I achieved the grey/blue skin by starting with a base of Astronomican Grey and covering it with a light wash of Asurmen Blue.

Finished Kroot Hounds

Here are the finished Hounds.

Kroot Hound

A nearly complete Kroot Hound from my Tau army.  It’s made from a Chaos Hound.  I was originally planning on making the entire mane red, but that was a bit too much.  I ended up doing the light brown with the crest of red that will match the Kroot themselves.  This hound still needs to be highlighted, and of course the basing.

Tau Piranhas WIP

The colors on the Piranhas have been blocked out and the base coat has been applied.  They need the detailing picked out and some highlighting and shading.  I’m really pleased with the overall colors and I plan on using a similar scheme now on the larger tanks.


The first full squad of Kroot is now finished for my Tau army.  I really like the way these guys turned out.  Very savage, but at the same time they will fit in well with my overall color theme.

Space Wolf Test Model

I’m slowly putting together a small Space Wolf force, and I figured I’d paint up a test model.  I’m going with the gray color scheme instead of the standard gray/blue scheme.  A big proponent for this theme is the simplicity.  I failed to finish my Chaos Marines mostly because of an overly complicated scheme.  With this scheme its basically a basecoat, wash, drybrushing, and then detailing.  I think some additional highlighting might be warranted, but it looks good from a tabletop standard.


I’ve been meaning to post these pictures for a while now, but here they are.  These are the first few finished models from my Tau army.  The Crisis suits still need weapons, but in general they are complete and I think they turned out really well.  The pictures are a little weird because the red color plus the warm light from bulbs I was using cause them to be a bit overly red, so I tried to tone them down a bit with GIMP.

Crisis Suits:


Kroot Warriors:

Tau Hammerhead Redo

I wasn’t really enthused about the way my Hammerhead was turning out.  It seemed just a little too plain, and I didn’t really know how to spice it up, so I took a look through the codex for some inspiration.  In there I found a sample camouflage pattern that I thought would go well.  The pattern in the book was the same red and gray scheme that I had been working with.  Well, started painting it last night and I think it is coming along quite nicely.  The lines could be a little cleaner, and I’m thinking of getting an airbrush to try and make things go a little easier.  Anyway, here’s the picture of the progress so far, sorry about the quality of the picture, I am in the Twin Cities for work and the only camera I have is my phone.

WIP: Tau Hammerhead

I started work on my first Tau Hammerhead tank tonight.  The army will be primarily red with light gray on parts.  I like how the colors are coming out, but it just seems kind of plain right now.  There are plenty of details that still need to be picked out, but on the whole, there just seems to be something lacking.  I’ve done the camouflage stippling on my Eldar, and I don’t really want to do the same thing on the Tau.  I want something to really make the tanks look distinct, but I’m not sure what.

Anyways, here’s the pics of the progress so far.

Death Marshal #1

The base is not complete, but here is the first of the three Death Marshals.

Things I like:
The coffin turned out looking great.  I love the lighter brown
The gun looks good
The skin tone worked out how I hoped

Things that could be better:
The face turned out a bit chalky
The highlighting on the cloak could be a bit better
There doesn’t seem to be enough color, but I’m not sure what more could be done.


Last Three Plays:


House of Paincakes Blog Network
N== Blog Network
The 40k n00b - Warhammer 40k Blog Network